A Brief History of Changchun Confucius Temple

  English    |      2024-02-04 14:33:41    |     人气:267     |    标签:


22.jpg


Changchun Confucius Temple, located at the intersection of Yatai Street and Erdao Street, Nanguan District, Changchun City, was built in the 11th year of Tongzhi of the Qing Dynasty (1872 AD), and was donated by the local squire Zhu Chen. It has a history of more than one hundred years. In the 21st year of Guangxu (1895 AD) and the 13th year of the Republic of China (1924 AD), Changchun Governor Yang Tonggui and Changchun County Governor Zhao Pengdi presided two large-scale maintenance and expansion respectively. It used to be a moving scene "Ancient Elm in front of the door, full of flowers and plants, and Pan Chi like a half moon, Hongqiao Flying on it" .

 

With the erosion of wind and rain and the influence of the “Cultural Revolution", the Confucius Temple in Changchun was greatly damaged and was once built as a school building. In 2002, under the auspices of Li Shu, the mayor of Changchun, the municipal government funded the reconstruction of the Confucius Temple In 2008, under the auspices of Zhu Yejing, director of the Changchun Municipal People's Congress, and Zhang Yuanfu, chairman of the Changchun Municipal People's Political Consultative Conference, director Zhu Yejing raised funds to rebuild the Wenchang Pavilion (namely the Sinology lecture hall and the civic morality lecture Hall). In 2011, under the care of Cui Jie, Zhu Yejing, Jiang Zhiying and Zhang Yuanfu, etc., the main leaders of Changchun, and with the active support of party committees and governments at the province, city and district, Changchun Confucius Temple was renovated and expanded again, and the Confucius Cultural Park was built. The cultural park includes two units, Changchun Confucius Temple Primary School and Changchun Confucius Temple Museum. The Changchun Confucius Temple Museum was approved to be established at the end of 2011. Now, it covers an area of 31,500 square meters, with a construction area of more than 4,000 square meters.


The buildings of Confucius Temple mainly include Pan Chi, Lingxing Gate, Dacheng Gate, Bell Tower, Drum Tower, East and West Wu, Dacheng Hall, Chongsheng Hall, Holy Spring, Wenchang Pavilion and Kuixing Tower. The main building is neat and rigorous, with a symmetrical pattern, respectively arranged on both sides of the central axis, with a typical traditional Chinese architectural style.


Changchun Confucius Temple sits the statues of Confucius, "Four Sages" (Yan Hui, Zeng Shen, kong Ji, Meng Ke), and "Twelve Philosophers" (Min Ziqian, Zhong Gong, Ran BoNiu, Zi Gong, Zai Yu, Zi Lu, Ran Qiu, Zi Xia, Zi You, Zi Zhang, You Ruo, Zhu Xi) in Dacheng Hall. It also has three thematic exhibitions, rich in content and delicate. In East Exhibition Hall, it layouts The Great Way Prevails-Confucius Exhibition of Premium Artistic Works of the Picture Stories on Traces of Confucius over the History, displaying the jade, copper, wood and different carving works. The Changbai stone microsculpture “Traces of Confucius” is specially carved by national arts and crafts master Mr. Peng Zushu in Jilin province for our museum. The composition is detailed and refined. The shape is lively and vivid. It makes one have a detailed understanding of the thoughts and feelings, expressing admiration for Confucius. In West Exhibition Hall, it layouts "Selecting Scholars Through the Imperial Examination  the Thematic Exhibition of Chinese Imperial Examination Culture", showing materials about the imperial examination. It shows the whole process of the imperial examination system from its germination, establishment, to its peak and decline, until its abolition. In Chongsheng Hall, "Holy Confucian Tradition — the Historical Evolution Exhibition of Chinese Confucius Temple", shows pictures of Changchun Confucius Temple and influential Confucius temples in the country and the world. Part of the precious collections of Changchun Confucius Temple are displayed. The above three main exhibitions use miniature models (including scenes and characters), e-books and other modern display tools, using sound, light, electricity and other scientific and technological means, to make a comprehensive display of the story of Confucius, the imperial examination system and the history of Confucius Temple, which is very distinctive.


Since the reconstruction in 2002, Changchun Confucius Temple has revitalized and actively invested in the cause of carrying forward Chinese traditional culture, in addition to the traditional etiquette activities such as Adult Ceremony, Spring Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival, Chongyang Festival, Laba and other traditional festivals, popular by the public and tourists, and has been actively engaged in the publicity and popularization of sinology. On December 28, 2005, Changchun Confucius Temple, Provincial Federation of Social Sciences, Changchun TV and other units jointly opened the first public lecture - Chinese Traditional Culture Public Lecture, has not stopped so far. Every holiday, a large number of citizens will come here to listen to Chinese lectures, appreciate the charm of the excellent traditional culture; especially on September 28, 2003, Changchun Confucius Temple resumed the ceremony of sacrificing Confucius. Since then, on September 28, Confucius' birthday, Changchun Confucius Temple held grand Confucius memorial celebration, including in 2005, participating in the global Chinese, the Taiwan Straits and other joint Confucius memorial activities, which attracted wide attention and reports, and had a certain influence at home and abroad.